15.12.15

Remembering There and Back Again Link-up - The Desolation of Smaug


It's been so fun reviewing/remembering these movies! Here's the Desolation of Smaug--

Favourite Character
Myrtle: ...
Les: (and I quote) "Thorin & Nephews + Thranduil & Son & Tauriel + Bard & Family
...with a [redeemed] dragon and every other elf included for good measure."
S. F.: Oh, you already know my favourites. (The above listed and Bilbo.)

Favourite Actor
Myrtle: Luke Evans, John Bell,the Dwarves( especially sick Kili), Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, the Wizards.
Les: All of the above. Don't forget the fine performances of Lee Pace and Orlando Bloom!
S. F.:Yeah, the ones above mentioned.
Favourite Actress
Myrtle:All the females in the movie.
Les: Peggy and Mary Nesbitt (Sigrid and Tilda).
S. F.: See above.

Favourite Quote/Line
Myrtle:"I belong with my brother.", 'Are we not part of this world?"
Les: "I belong with my brother." ~ Fili + "I am fire... I am death." ~ Smaug
S. F.:  
"Balin: In truth, lad, I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to. There's no dishonor in turning back... 
Bilbo: No... no, Balin, I promised that I would do this, and I think that I must try. 
Balin: It never ceases to amaze me. 
Bilbo: What's that? 
Balin: The courage of hobbits."
And "If this is to end in fire, then we shall all burn together."

Favourite Soundtrack
Myrtle:"Feast of Starlight", "Laketown Theme".
Les: "Beyond the Forest" (take heed in listening to it as it can easily induce feels!)
S. F.: Erebor (Doesn't it just give you the chills?) and the Courage of Hobbits.
Favourite Friendship
Myrtle: See below.
Les: Sibling friendships again: Fili/Kili and Sigrid/Bain/Tilda.
S. F.: Hmm... besides the ones mentioned? The various friendships between Thorin/Balin/Dwalin/Bilbo.

Favourite Costume
Myrtle:The elves,Bard's children's.
Les: The costumes of my favourite characters, of course!
S. F.: The brilliant blue jacket of Mister Baggins and the epic scarlet cape of King Oakenshiled. And I can't forget King Thranduil's fabulous cloak. (Let me be honest, I love Tauriel's green outfit.)

Favourite Weapon
Myrtle: Tilda's plate and Bain's bench.
Les: The bows and arrows of Legolas and Tauriel.
S. F.: Well, I must give some credit to Bard for his improvised weapons. And all the knives were epic!

Favourite Minor-Character
Myrtle: Sigrid, Bain, Tilda, Percy, Hilda Bianca (her)
Les: Bard's darling children.
S. F.: I must say, Tilda's doll and the Black Arrow were mighty fine characters. ;)


Favourite Scene
Myrtle: Orcs attacking Bard's house was a great action one, and we get to see more of Sigrid, Bain and Tilda, Tauriel heals Kili, and Balin talking to Bilbo, and what Les said.
Les: When Fili refuses to leave his brother; Tauriel's beautiful speech on starlight.
S. F.: The ones Les and Myrtle mentioned, plus the Bilbo meeting Smaug. And the whole scene from when the dwarves cross the lake to the Mountain to when Thorin and Balin enter. Oh! And my very most favourite may be when Bilbo climbs the tree in Mirkwood.

Favourite Screen Shot
Myrtle:

Les: Beorn's lovely ponies against a gorgeous NZ background~

 
S. F.:

Favourite Location
Myrtle:The Throne Room of the Lonely Mountain.
Les: The location of the bridge leading into the Thranduil's Halls was beautifully designed (image).
S. F.: Does the tree tops of Mirkwood count? Beorn's house had some great details.

Did You Cry?
Myrtle: Mmm... I don't think so.
Les: When we first meet Smaug and his theme song played, aye.
S. F.:I didn't think I would, and then I saw this shot and heard the Erebor theme~
And then I cried.
Did You Dress Up As Anything?
Myrtle: Fili! I quite liked that costume.The gloves especially.
Les: Yes, I went as Kili!
S. F.: Yep! I was Bilbo Baggins--red coat, green waist-coat, and all. When we were outside the cinema, I was very cold in my hobbity costume, meanwhile Fili and Kili had the advantage of coats. Ehehe! But then it was all okay once we came inside. To celebrate today, I'm wearing my waistcoat.

Did You Watch it at a Theater?
All: Yes, on a chilly December 14th 2013. :)

What Are Your Personal Thoughts on the Movie?
Myrtle: I really enjoyed returning to Middle Earth, but was a bit sad knowing there would be only one more movie after this. To counter that,I looked at it like this: The Lord of the Rings was made before The Hobbit, but the story happens afterwards. Creating a circle. A ring... that has no end.
Les: Two years have passed since I watched it first, and from then to now I would say personally it was a grand adventure with exquisite music and powerfully interwoven themes of loyalty, pride vs. humility, the importance of love and respect in the family, kindness, and the consequences poor choices have on others. So be true to all that is good!
S. F.: DOS was the Hobbit film that I was the most excited about. It led us on the continuation of our journey there and back again with Bilbo. There was tense moments, sad moments, and then of course there were moments of stillness and moments to make you smile. I liked that we were shown the in-between part of the adventure--the plot and characters were developing, and we still were on the edge of our seats wondering about the next part.

4 comments:

  1. Haha, S.F., I loved your answer to the question 'Did You Cry'! Hahahahahaha that was, and still is, totally me every time I watch that scene=) My family and I are doing a Hobbit/LOTR marathon and we just finished the TUJ a couple nights ago. We're going to watch DOS Friday night and then BOTFA probably Saturday night or later due to Christmas, family gatherings:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know--it's a very epic/majestic shot.
      Ahhh! That's brilliant! :) What a perfect way to celebrate. Have fun (if 'fun' is a proper way to describe such a Feels packed marathon. Ehehehe!)

      Delete
    2. Haha true:) thanks!

      Delete
  2. <3 ahhh those horses. Love all your answers, they're all got really insightful. :D

    ReplyDelete

Be good; we have a dragon.